Porsche 997 Carrera S

France Road Trip – 997 Carrera S

It’s 1 year on since the purchase of my 997 and on the realisation that I had only covered 1,476 miles between MOT’s, it’s about time a road trip was booked.

There is now a requirement for high vis and breathalisers along with the usual check list but adjustable head lights for driving on the continent saves one cost at least.

The plan was Guildford to Saint-Emilion via the tunnel taking the quickest route possible and enjoy the back roads on the return journey.

997 Carrera S

1st stop Chateau Grand Barrail, Saint-Emilion
Grand Barrail

2nd stop Le Manoir Les Minimes, Amboise

Amboise

Convertible provided more picnic space than a Turbo or GT spoiler.

997 Picnic

Chenonceau

Chenonceau

Leonardo Di Vinci exhibition at Chateau du Clos Luce

Clos Luce

So, a year on with the 997:

Luggage space surprisingly good and the wind deflector kept the cabin quiet at motorway speeds.

Sat Nav never let us down but we did get through the cd changer – ipod/iphone compatibility would make a good addition.

I bought this car for fun, back road blasts and the fact that I’d always wanted a 911. As a long distance cruiser the Panamera would have been much more comfortable but every time we hit a B road I forgot about that.

More details on the 997 Carrera S Cabriolet.

Details:
Out – A28, A10 through Le Mans and Tours, 650 miles, 65 euros tolls.
Return – Back roads, 3 night stop in Amboise (Loire Valley), no tolls and nearly 1000 miles but much more enjoyable.
MPG – 26.7 reported with a real mix of driving.

Leave a Reply